Monday 29 June 2015

Making your Marriage Work

It was yet another memorable weekend at the Epe Resort and Spa with nine couples participating in IWFI Married Couples Retreat.

 Amidst the fun and laughter that usually characterize the MCR weekend, was also tears.  I would say tears of joy and perhaps, that rediscovery of love that seemed forgotten. I guess having heard that being vulnerable towards your spouse also enhances intimacy and that communication is key to a smooth relationship. Only the hardest of hearts can hold back the emotion when a spouse goes on his/her knee to say ‘I am sorry’.



 From the first session couples were encouraged to focus just on themselves. As they were told “....the whole program is about the two of you. Ignore the rest of us; focus on yourselves and the planning of your future...” For sure the program is for our guest couples but I never fail to take away some tips for myself (yes I am a spouse) that can help when I go back home.
My favourite quote from the last MCR program was; “Marriage, like life, is a journey - not a destination – and its treasures are found not just at the end but all along the way” Your lack of control of some events in your marriage, the good one and the bad ones alike are to be treasured. You cannot run away, but make the best of the situation.
The goal of the Married Couples Retreat is to enrich the lives of married couples and help them discover a life-long marriage of true love and fulfillment for a great society to the glory of God.


by IWFI

No comments:

Post a Comment